Sunday, March 11, 2012

So I didn't think I would get to update tonight, but Annie started watching something called "My Fair Wedding," which appears to be a show about Jason Bateman getting a spray tan and pranking overdressed ladies by planning hilariously cartoonish weddings, but to be honest I'm not really paying attention.

So we've been on the wagon of meatlessness for about two weeks. This is our second weekend of "normal" eating, which gives us excuses to really go crazy.

The kids were away Saturday night, so we got to get out for a bit. We met our friend Celeste at her new house in Fountain Square hiked over to the new restaurant/tequila bar, La Margarita. The food was good, but the drinks were better. The ladies had margaritas and I had this:



















While we were out stuffing our faces with chocolaty mole and tamales, I had a crockpot slowly simmering an evil concoction back at home. Smoking Goose bacon, onions and garlic, espresso, brown sugar, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar all slowly reducing to a syrupy, smoky mess. I had a plan to make some pretty epic grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner on Sunday and had really been wanting to try my hand at bacon jam. When I first started making it, it smelled just like a baby's diaper, but by the time we got home, the house smelled like a barbecue joint.

I wanted to make a savory sandwich and a sweet version. I'd seen a bacon, avocado and cheddar recipe somewhere but it was lacking something, namely BACON FREAKING JAM. Seriously, it's going to be hard to wait until the next weekend to do something with this stuff.

Here's the savory. Bacon jam, white cheddar, avocado and sriracha on sourdough, grilled in reserved bacon grease.

Pre-grilling:


















The sweet version was pear, Camembert and nutella.




















Grilled up:





















Nom Nom Nom:




















We also cooked up a huge batch of Ethiopian lentils, hummus and baba ganoush for the week, so tomorrow we're back on the wagon.

1 comment:

  1. I got a shout out!!! I would like to reiterate, I am only your friend on the weekend. - Celeste

    ReplyDelete